Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Toronto in the Spring

Okay, this isn't really about my seasonal allergies. Actually, they're much better in Toronto than they are in some cities in Southwestern Ontario that will remain nameless.

Instead, this is a quickie blog about the new dermatologist I'm trying out. Well, I've pretty much decided he's the one.

Briefly, I had one for about 20 years. He retired. They don't make doctors like him anymore which is sad. He was simply brilliant. My first attempt at finding a new dermatologist ended badly. While I got an appointment in one business day, that singular appointment was enough for me to never go back. Didn't look at me, didn't look at my skin. That's like going to a dentist who never asks you to open your mouth.

Enter, CBC Radio 1. A brief, but totally worthwhile, radio interview later, I emailed my family doctor and asked for a referral to AvantDerm, located at 45 Mill Street in Toronto. They have an ethnic skin focus (I'm brown), but also focus on the traditional stuff like eczema. Plus, they have a cosmetic practice, which interests me since I'd like to do the whole laser hair removal thing one day (that's another blog for another day).

Anyway, the clinic is beautiful. Everything is custom and the atmosphere is lovely. Plus, the staff clearly know what customer service is about. It's been a long time since I've been in an office with that kind of vibe. On top of it, the doctors are quite nice. Attentive, kind and they looked at my skin!

After my quick tour of the facilities, I was even more hooked. I'm not the kind of girl who gets swayed by superficial things like distressed wood and chandeliers. But, pair that with customer service and sound medical knowledge and I'm there.

One more bonus, they give you printouts describing your condition as well as ways to treat it. Simple but stellar.

If you're interested or know someone who might be, check out the site.

In the next blog, I'll get back to the food allergy thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment